October 13, 2010
|What are Tainted Supplements/Foods?
In recent years, FDA has identified hundreds of products marketed as dietary supplements or conventional foods with hidden drugs and chemicals. The products are typically promoted for sexual enhancement, weight loss, bodybuilding, and diabetes. FDA lab analyses have found products that have been laced with a wide variety of potentially dangerous ingredients that include:
• Approved prescription drug ingredients and their analogues
• Drugs banned by FDA for safety reasons
• Controlled substances such as anabolic steroids and stimulant diet drugs
• New active drug ingredients that are untested and unstudied
Know What’s in Your Products
Requirements Under the Law
Retailers and distributors are responsible under the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) for ensuring that the products they sell are safe and properly labeled. A company cannot escape the law by relying on a manufacturer’s or supplier’s representations that the product is not tainted.
Watch Out for These Red Flags
|• Product Categories:
• Sexual Enhancement
• Weight Loss
• Labeling claims like:
• Labels primarily in a foreign language